Thanks to early detection and advancements in treatment methods, many women can now survive breast cancer and live out their normal life expectancy. Whilst this is obviously good news, cancer treatments do take an enormous toll on the body and mind. Weight gain, muscle atrophy and premature bone loss are common. The resulting weakness makes it challenging for patients to perform their normal daily activities.
Pilates is a gentle and restorative exercise method that can help women recover and rebuild their bodies during/after cancer treatment. Pilates uses precise, controlled movements, that will aid the recovery process.
The side effects of breast cancer treatments include:
- Chronic pain
- Joint stiffness
- Scar tissue
- Weight gain
- Low self esteem
- Rotator cuff issues in the shoulder
- Muscular imbalances
Pilates can help with many symptoms mentioned above, in particular:
Lymphoedema (the breathing system used in Pilates can improve lymph drainage)
Rotator cuff issues might result from the surgical process, and interfere with postural alignment and upper body movement mechanics (Pilates helps break down scar tissue and restore functional movement patterns)
Osteoporosis, even in younger women, might result from some of the breast cancer medications (Pilates strength exercises can help restore bone density)
Muscular imbalances can occur as a result of the breast reconstruction process (Pilates can help correct muscle imbalances)
Our Clinical Pilates instructors and physiotherapists have the skills and knowledge to carefully bring the breast cancer patient through the post-rehab process safely.
Our services include:
- Manual physiotherapy
- Physical and functional assessments
- Individualised Clinical Pilates/Resistance training/Exercise prescription
- Fatigue management
We aim to help you:
- Optimise physical and functional recovery
- Ease pain and muscular tension
- Regain strength and mobility
- Increase energy levels and improve breathing
- Strengthen core muscles and improve posture
- Improve physical functioning and maintain independence
- Reclaim body confidence and control
- Reduce treatment related side effects
- Shift the focus from illness to wellness
- It is suitable after any type of cancer surgery or treatment and accommodates all ages, fitness levels and mobility.